If you’re the owner of a Blog in pretty much any niche you’ll know how difficult its become to drive traffic to your site?
Internet Marketing is certainly no exception to this!
We used to have Article Directories, Link Wheels, Paid Links, Keyword Stuffing, Metadata Descriptions and Duplicated Content, to name but a few, but these were seriously abused over the years and the big G said enough was enough and handed out a few ‘slaps’.
I personally think that this was a good thing and what’s more, we always had Guest Blogging to turn to to get decent backlinks, drive traffic to your site and give something back to the community.
Then this got abused….and the Happy G Slapping continued, with many well established blogs questioning whether they could ever accept Guest Bloggers again?
So is Guest Blogging Dead?
Before I answer that:
What is Google’s view on guest blogging for links?
I think to summarise Googles view (via Matt Cutts) of Guest Blogging, it’s ok providing:
- You’re a High Quality Writer
- You have a message and a perspective which is going to be of value to the community
- An original thought! You have something to say which people are going to find informative.
But on the other hand, the not so good:
- Spinning Blog Posts
- Offering the same Blog posts to multiple sites (duplicate content)
- Low quality articles
- Articles where the sole purpose is to obtain links!
- Bare minium word posts (200 – 400 words for example)
No pressure then, lets see if I can get beyond 400 words here!!
I’ve read a lot of comments online about how vague this video is and we also need to keep in mind that it was published in 2014.
But is it really that vague?
Google is still very heavily invested with putting the trash in the dumpster and what we used to see in the way of blatant SEO, including Guest Blogging, was that there was an awful lot of rubbish out there.
We just need to move with the times.
In fact, is it just moving with the times? In a way, I think this is Googles way of resetting the clock! Its sort of how things were always mean’t to be before the clever ‘Black Hat’ brigade moved into town (and made quite a bit of money from it!).
So I started looking around for Internet Marketing Blogs that accepted good quality Guest Blogs and that’s where the story really begins!
Finding Sites that Accept Guest Blogging
Have you heard of Topsy?
Its a great site where you can come up with new ideas for your blog posts but its also pretty good at finding sites which you can Guest Blog on!
For example, I typed in “guest post” social media including the quotations into Topsy and was presented with pages of Guest Post articles in that niche. Click on the links and you find out which sites are ok with this!
Its not quite breaking the sound barrier but….thats 400 words done! I can relax now!
So this looks good, the official word from Google is that its still ok to Guest Blog, providing its high quality content and completely ‘White Hat’.
So is that the end of this story, no!
Along with Topsy, there’s another resource I would like to share with you:
Now this post is over a year old but I’ve been through most the links on here and the vast majority are still very much current, thanks Peter.
What you do notice however is that there’s sites on here which no longer accept Guest Blogging and some sites go as far to offer an explanation as to why this is the case.
One site, Inspiration Feed, which is great site to have a look around by the way, went as far to honestly post the following comment:
It seems that our generosity has turned for the worst. On January 31, 2014, our PageRank dropped because Google has detected unnatural outbound links on our website (guest articles). To protect ourselves, we’ve decided to stop accepting guest articles.
Inspiration Feed were not the only site to close the door on Guest Bloggers and it became obvious that finding sites willing to accept you has become quite difficult.
Or, perhaps more accurately, the choices are fewer!
Is Guest Blogging Dead – My Summary
But, I would suggest doing the following:
Finding a Site that accepts Guest Blogging
- Use Topsy, the list I’ve posted above and any other resource that you can find to search out a few suitable sites that will accept Guest Posts.
- Lets say you’ve found 3 such sites. Make sure that these sites are still current, have they had any recent blog posts, was the last one about 5 years ago?
- What credibility has that site got? By no means fool proof but I would recommend firstly looking at the content on the site, how does it read, would you be happy putting your ‘High Quality’ stuff on there? Another good indicator of how the internet (read Google here) see’s this site is its Page Rank. You can easily check out a sites PR by using PR Checker.
- Do the sites have a registration process or a simple ‘Contact Me’? Either way, get in touch with that Blogger and see what they say.
- As Matt Cutts said, make it ‘High Quality’
- If you need to take a week creating a well-researched, quality article which is going to make readers say “Wow” then that has to be a job well done. It’s better than creating 7 low-quality pieces which are only going to end up in one place…
- First impressions count! If you’re new to all this, and even if you’re not, make your work as good as it can possibly be! The odd spelling mistace is acceptable but there should be no excuse for the reader to hit that back button during the first paragraph because nothing makes sense.
And don’t forget that all important sound barrier….
Over to you
Is Guest Blogging working for you?
Anything you want to share, after all it’s difficult to keep up with all this Slapping!
Comment always welcome.